R&D objectives in Strategic Plan of Tallinn University of Technology 2020
- To introduce an integrated tenure-team academic career model. Student and stakeholder feedback, academic performance, international outreach and industrial partnerships play a key role in the implementation of the career model.
- To increase the share of internationally recognised top researchers in the academic family and strengthen capacity for research, thereby laying a strong foundation for all the activities of the university.
- To regard doctoral students as researchers, who, together with post-doctoral fellows, have a vital role in consistent strengthening of the university's capacity for research.
- To form academically talented research teams, that lay the foundation for the development of science and technology, knowledge-based studies and interaction with society. Research teams shall be able to successfully apply for research funding and engage in research- and innovation-intensive cooperation with enterprises and the public sector in Estonia, as well as abroad.
- On the basis of related research teams to form departments, which are the central academic and administrative structural units of the university. The departments shall provide the academic competence and infrastructure required for teaching and research and the capacity to successfully participate in international research cooperation, including international networks and in cooperation with enterprises, as well as with the public sector.
- To reorganise the faculties and redesign them in accordance with the areas of responsibility arising from the Tallinn University of Technology Act.
- To abide by the principle that the university's strong international position and carefully focused contribution to excellence and state-of-the-art technologies serve the interests of Estonian economy and people in the best way. To implement university´s academic potential in particular through strategic partnership with major technology-intensive companies in the world, while being an active partner to Estonian companies and involving them in the activities and development of the university. To create a situation, where cooperation with strong business partners is carried out in every field of research.
- To play an active role in popularising engineering sciences.